Think of a hot, aromatic and spicy meat chilli with black beans. Now, forget the rice or tortillas and add this chilli to a sweet potato. Can you imagine the salty and spicy chilli mixed with the sweet and soft potato in each bite? It is absolutely fantastic!
You can adapt the chilli to your personal taste, use turkey or chicken, if you prefer, or make it completely vegetarian. The spicy is also to your taste, you can start with less and add a bit more when you’re eating. To take advantage of time, make the chilli while the potatoes are baking in the oven, so everything is ready at the same time.
See you soon.
Chilli with baked sweet potato
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch cayenne pepper (adjust to your taste)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 500 g ground beef
- 33 cl stout beer
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 small can (420 g) black beans
- 1 small bunch parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 220º C and line a baking tray with parchment paper or aluminium foil. Wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly, place in the baking tray and bake in the preheated oven until cooked and tender, approximately one hour (insert a toothpick in the thickest part to test for doneness).
- While the sweet potatos bake, prepare the chilli. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrot, and bell pepper, season with salt and cook until the vegetables are soft, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, cayenne pepper and cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add the ground beef, increase the heat to medium high, stir and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add the beef stock, stout, oregano, bay leaf, vinegar, tomato paste and black beans. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer, and cook, covered, for half an hour. After that, uncover the pot and cook for another half hour, or until the the liquid thickens to your taste.
- Open the sweet potatoes lenghtwise and add generous spoonfuls of chilli. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro and serve immediately.