One of the good things about risotto is its versatility, the possibility to use the products of each season to create endless combinations of flavors. Do you remember, in the summer, the tomato and zucchini risotto I left you? So, now it is the humble pumpkin that lends its sunny color to create a risotto that brings into the house the light that is lacking in this gray and moody sky.This pumpkin risotto is a tasty dish that combines the softness and sweetness of the roasted pumpkin with the pungent and salty flavor of Roquefort cheese.
Roasted pumpkin risotto with Roquefort cheese
Prep: | Cook: | Total:
- Hokkaido pumpkin: 1 (you can also use butternut, for example)
- Extra virgin olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Onion: 1, small, finely diced
- Sage: 3 leaves
- Risotto rice (Carnaroli, Vialone Nano or Arborio): 320 g
- Dry white wine: 1 dl
- Vegetable broth: 1,25 l, hot
- Parmesan cheese (or Grana Padano): 75 g, freshly ground
- Butter: 1 tablespoon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper: to taste
- Roquefort cheese: 200 g
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Lay a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place on it the hokkaido pumpkin cut into quarters and cleaned of seeds. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. After this time, remove the pumpkin pulp and crush coarsely with a fork or make a thinner puree using a blender. Weigh 300 g of pumpkin puree and set aside.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a casserole, preferably wide, on medium heat. Add the onion and sage leaves and sauté for a few minutes until the onion is translucent.
- Add the rice and fry it for a minute or two, stirring frequently. Add the white wine and let evaporate.
- Add two ladles of the hot vegetable stock and cook until the rice absorbs almost all the liquid. Go adding the remaining broth, a ladle at a time, keeping the heat low and stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- When the rice is creamy and al dente, i.e., the grain is cooked but maintains a slight resistance in the middle, add the pumpkin puree and stir well to incorporate. Then add the butter and grated cheese and stir again until they are melted and incorporated. Season with freshly ground black pepper and rectify the salt, if necessary (depends on the salt content of the vegetable stock). Serve the pumpkin risotto immediately, accompanied with Roquefort cheese.
GET IN TOUCH
I would love to hear from you on this roasted pumpkin risotto with Roquefort cheese or any other blog recipe you might try. You can use the comments box at the end of each post or send me an e-mail through the contact page. You can also follow the blog on Facebook and Instagram.
See you soon.