This lemon poppy seed cake falls in the category of simple cakes, of the “mix everything together and bake in the oven” kind, which are my favorites. The lemon scent is however intense and the poppy seeds give texture and look beautiful, small bluish spots dotted on the pale batter.
Lemon poppy seed cake
Prep Time: | Cook Time: | Total:
- 280 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 lemon (zest and juice separated)
- 250 g Greek yogurt
- 200 g sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 130 g powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
For the lemon glaze
- Preheat oven to 160º C. Butter a cake pan and sprinkle with flour.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the poppy seeds and lemon zest and mix with a wooden spoon.
- In another bowl, beat the Greek yogurt with the sugar, eggs, lemon juice and oil. Stir this mixture into the flour, stirring to combine but without beating too much.
- Pour the batter into the pre-prepared pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool down completely.
- To make the icing, mix the sugar with the lemon juice. The frosting should be thick but run on a continuous thread. Add a little more lemon juice (or water) if necessary. If it is very liquid just add more icing sugar.
- When the cake is cool, decorate with the icing. You can sprinkle the top with more poppy seeds and lemon zest.
I used a 20 cm diameter cake pan. If you use a larger cake pan pay attention while baking, because the cake will be lower and may take less time to cook.
GET IN TOUCH
I would love to hear from you on this article, in particular, or on the blog, in general. You can use the comments box at the end of each post or send me an e-mail through the contact page. You can also follow the blog on Instagram and Pinterest and, if you would like to receive the new articles delivered directly to your inbox, you may subscribe the newsletter at the end of this page.
See you soon.